Thursday, May 8, 2008

Saturday in Memphis

Well let me just say I am not normally a morning person. Especially after I have consumed enough beer to float a small boat. With that being said, I was in a hotel room with 4 other people and three of the four are morning people. (They actually work out in the morning before work for God's sake) So one of them woke up at 5:45 A.M.!!!!!! and he opened the curtain and said, "Good we have a blue sky". Well that was it, the light poured in and the room was up within 20 minutes. I soon got out of bed, did my morning duties and commented, " I don't normally get up before I have to folks". They all replied, you can go back to bed. YEA RIGHT. People were up, moving around, even showering! There are only 2 things to do then. Get some water and some Excedrin migraine medicine for my hang over headache. I also knew I would have to eat soon. So I was the next in the bathroom, showered and waited for others to get ready so I can soak up some of the beer I drank last night. We eventually found a buffet and ate. I felt much better after breakfast.



The Peabody Hotel is very impressive. We did not see the ducks do their thing but I will do that on my next visit. It was now off to GRACELAND. How cool is that? I could not wait to get there. I LOVE ELVIS. I have grown up with the King. But to let you all know, the Graceland tour is not cheap. We went on the basic walking tour with audio for $27.00. But the pictures I took was worth the money to me. The best part of the tour was the transformed racquetball court. Within the court was all of his awards, gold records and many of his outfits he wore on stage. You could also just stand in there and watch one of his last concerts. That was pretty awesome. We did not get to see the upstairs bedrooms. They are to remain private, maybe because he is still using them. At the conclusion of the tour, you walked by the grave site of him and his parents. Did you know that Elvis was a twin? His brother died at an early age. You might want to google info. on that.

It was now back to the hotel, and prepare for the all day and night music fest. BUT we had to hit Beale Street before the music fest. We need to eat some BBQ and drink some cold Big Ass Beers.
I do know now that the next time I go to Memphis, I will spend more time on Beale Street. It has such a diverse atmosphere. The BBQ was quite tasty too.

The music fest was something everyone should be exposed to at least once in a lifetime. Just make sure that you have rain gear and you can stand for long periods at a time. The Blues tent was pretty cool. The lead singer of the band we were listening to was awesome. He even knew a member of the Temptations and he got up on the stage and sang for the crowd. Then we moved to another stage to listen to Buddy Guy. Now he can put on a show and the energy he had on that stage was amazing. The next group SUCKED but Santana made up for how horrible the earlier act was. I love the was Santana brought in so much percussion into their music.

The concert ended at 1 A. M. Remember this day started at 5:45. We started our trek back to the hotel and we all needed the walk and get our bodies moving. All of our legs and lower back were in pain. Is that a sign of old age? Well I was the youngest one in this group, if that tells you anything. We had a few beers at the hotel and I made an announcement to the room, if anyone thinks they are getting up before 7, they will get physically hurt by me. The room finally went silent at 2:15 A.M. We all reawoke at 8. It was a great weekend! Despite all the rain and wind I drove through, it was worth the time and money. I will be back next year.

No comments: