Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Gangs in North St. Louis City/ Public Assistance

This was a topic at a pool party a week or so ago and I took it a step further and asked a class of my students what they think about the gangs taking over the neighborhoods in North St. Louis and this was their responses.

I posed the question: How do the residents in the neighborhoods where gang activity is becoming the common place, take back their neighborhoods.

Have a curfew for all residents.

Have more police presence.

Have the community "get togethers" so they can know each other.

Make a neighborhood association.

Try to get the gang members interested in something else.

Try to find them a good home or a good paying job.

Get the schools to work with the gang members.

Show them the importance of education.

The students hit all the important topics and they saved the best for last.

We need to help all of our young people to understand the importance of education, not street smarts, but how getting out of the rut is more important than trying to stay in the rut.

2 comments:

Rodney Bequette said...

Amen siter friend!

I also am aware of the cycles. These cycles all lead to the same result. NOTHING! Pointing of fingers, no one taking responsibility for their own actions.

I truly believe that no one wants to be "taken" care of. I believe when a system, such as the American welfare, is set up for FAILURE.....what can we as Americans expect?

I grew up poor like 85% of the population. I fucked up. I paid my price. BUT...My mother never took assistance from anyone. On another note, she never qualified....different time, different views.

Remember when being on "welfare" carried a stigma? Remember Eddie Murphy's...."I got some ice cream, but you don't have any, cause you on the welfare!"....

I know it is not amusing. I know it needs re-worked. BUT???....the question is this? When do PEOPLE in general, on and off welfare, step up to do something about it!

Gangs are just a replacement for family. A fucked up replacement, but trust me, I have seen it firsthand. Usually, these "gang" members have no one but each other. Wouldn't it be nice if there was a "gang" of people who worked together for the benefit of society? A society in which corrupt officials and companies don't pander to the less fortunate for the benefit of the more fortunate?

How about a society that ACTUALLY cares about their fellow man?

It is nice to dream.

peace out.
rodney

Laura said...

I do understand the need for people to get assistance, I am just upset that too many people are relaying on it for their yearly survival and not trying to do anything about taking care of themselves.

I had a job when I first moved to St. Louis, working for a school district and only making 12,000.00 a year. I had to find other jobs to be able to live and have a life.

That is all I want the people to do, give it a shot and try to help themselves.