Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Younger Generation- What are we doing to them?

Here is my next topic. When has the schools had the responsibility for everything? How old do you think a student should be to start being responsible for their own work? Classwork and homework?

This is my main issue. I had a writing assignment due yesterday and only 40% of my students had it completed to turn in. This is something I have talked about and devoted a class period and a half to work on it and they had a 3 day weekend to work on it. So, needless to say, I was very frustrated yesterday. So I sent out an email to my parents to inform them how frustrated I was and I was also suggesting to each parent to ask their child for their school planner. This is where the students write down their assignments, but I guess that is really only theory. Because if only 40% turned in my writing, that means that 60% don't use the planner.

I received 2 emails from parents before I left school yesterday. One asked if her child turned in the assignment and I said yes and other email thanked me.

Now, this morning when I got to school, I was told about another email. The email was mainly asking why, as a school system or a building, do we not have a place that teachers post the homework. I understand that theory. But I understand my stance better. When do the students get any consequences for doing what they are suppose to do for 6 hours a day? When does it become the students responsibility to complete the classwork or homework?

We can not BABY this generation anymore. We will lose out in the long run if we continue this practice. This goes back to one of my earlier posts about 20 something year olds. The younger generation seems to depend on the older generation more so then I have ever witnessed.

Please do me a favor........ make the young people in your life accountable for what they must accomplish. If you always pick up after them, and I mean that global not literally, they will never learn to learn.

BOSS

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sing it sister!! It starts early. . . if you want your child to become independent and have the skills to think and do for themselves as an adult, start simple and let your 2 year old WALK!! First independent thing they can do in their lives! Then, let them carry their coat if they are not going to wear it. Hmmm, is that a hard choice? (If you are done wearing your coat, that is your choice. Mommy is not going to carry it, though. It is your coat)

Simple, people. I mean, really! I'm with you on the 20 somethings, generally speaking. Our 22 year old assistant just gave us her notice! Aaaaaaaaaaaah!!!