Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Classroom Behavior

Classroom management is probably the most important aspect of teaching that is hardly ever touched in undergraduate degree programs. I remember when I was going to college and believe it or not, my graduation date will be 20 years in May. That is crazy to me. Anyhow back to my topic, we had one semester on classroom management. ONLY ONE SEMESTER!!!!! That is crazy for me to even fathom at the present time. I really wonder what the program calls for now. I would not be shocked if it has not changed.

My classroom management has never been an issue. My students learned that I was stern but at the same time fair. For some reason, that is not happening this year. And I don't know why. It is not that I am not trying to make adaptations to my management. I am hearing what the kids are asking for and I am doing my part but it does not seem to be working. Yes, I know, give it time. See where I am in a week from now or two weeks from now and then try to tweak the system. It just seems that when I think it is moving smoothly, it falls apart right in front of my face.

I will try even harder tomorrow to make sure all my students are on task and respectful but I must say, it is starting to be more about controling behaviors then it is about teaching and that is unfortunate.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen, sister! Classroom management is so important, and, like you said, hardly addressed at all. It took me roughly about 7 years in the classroom before I truly felt comfortable with it, but it is STILL a daily struggle sometimes. Of course, I'm dealing with completely different issues with my toddlers & preschoolers than you are with your tweens-teens. A challenge nonetheless!

You WILL figure it out, though. Rock on sister!

And, yeah. 20 years in May. . . I still feel like I just got out. Funny how I can still feel like a 22 year old in this 40+ body!

Rodney Bequette said...

Dr. Small.

If anyone can take "control" it is you! (read my blog for my thoughts on our emotive state of mind right now!)

It is so good to see you writing on here. It is so good to see a side of you that is so dear and passionate.

I love you big sister!
xoxo

Laura said...

You can knock off the "big sister" comments anytime you like.

HAHAHAHHA