Thursday, December 4, 2008

Christmas from Years Past

My mom was a fanatic about Christmas much the same way Terri is. Christmas preparations were actually a family event. We all pitched in, even my brothers. My dad got the decorations down from the unfinished upper level and my mom bossed us all around to get things out. When we left for school she would put the items exactly were she wanted them. She also infused some of her homemade ceramics into the decor. She was very talented, in many ways, she was just very subtle about it.

Christmas traditions were as follows:

Christmas Eve was opening one present before we went to dinner. Then we would meet my grandpa and Helen, Uncle Jerry, Aunt Alice and Cousin Jennifer. We started off going to restaurants, then to my Grandpa's house then to Uncle Jerry's. After my mom passed away we actually had people over to the Flossmoor house, oh what a hassle that was. The last time we all got together was at my cousin Jennifer's house. I miss those times when we got together for dinner and sit around and talk about what was going on with each of us.

My Uncle Jerry can be very funny and it was a rare year when we witnessed my dad and my uncle actually getting along and laughing together. They have lived close to each other all of their years but they have never been close.

Then on Christmas we would load up the car and head either to my grandparents house when my grandmother was still alive or head to Aunt Bev's. Aunt Bev was my mom's aunt and what a cool woman she is. She had 6 kids and they all had kids of their own. SO it was a house that had a lot of activity. I enjoyed going out there because it was like going to your best friend's house instead of a relatives house. It was very informal and comfortable.

It does seem the older I get the more I miss those times and those connections. I do think that the connections I have made with my extended family is what I miss the most. We have a huge family and it just seems that I do not see them enough anymore. It is not that I never make it back to Chicago because I do. I just don't make it back for the weddings and unfortuntally the funnerals.

I would like to continue a tradition my Uncle Carl started many years ago. He had an Open House Christmas Eve. This is where the long lost cousins could gather and chew the fat with each other for a few hours. As I got older, I really looked forward to the gathering. This was the opportunity to see the cousins that we would not be able to see all year. Uncle Carl and Aunt Mary were gracious hosts and provided wonderful food and drink. Many times, my brother Scott and I would be there until 3 am.

I want to continue the tradition. So if you are around town this Christmas Eve, please come by the house for some holiday cheer and breakfast.

PEACE AND LOVE THIS HOLIDAY SEASON

3 comments:

Rodney Bequette said...

Boo-tie!

Booooooo-tie!

Boooooooooooooooo-tie!

Sister,
Your recollections of your Christmas pasts warms my heart. I, like you, have many fond memories of the past. I, like you, want to "make" OUR family traditions!

You and I are very alike. DUH! We both have loving partners who are Christmas extremists! In essence, we are truly blessed. I am honored, and quite frankly, adore the fact that our circle of life is as interconnected as it is!

Count on this "brother" to be at the house on Christmas eve. I cannot think of one place I would rather be!

xoxo
rodney

Laura said...

The house is starting to look like Christmas. It really is amazing what Terri can do with a few hours to herself. She has an eye for where things go. But I must say the Santa coat is TOO CUTE.

I know, this came from Jaxxson last night, "Is Dr. Small still in the house?"

Yes I am still in the house but I saw some really cute decorations. If the damm cold would let up, I can get them outside.

And yes the hay and pumpkins are going to disappear on Saturday.

This is what Christmas needs to be, even Edward enjoys the company, even if he can't admit to it.

Xander W said...

If we did not have 4 other houses to be at on Christmas eve, xander and I would be there. But 4 houses with a 20 month old is enough. :)